Thursday, July 1, 2010

Record a Day #6- Rain on the Parade "Full Speed Ahead" (1997)

Track Listing:
1. Fight Back
2. Full Speed Ahead
3. Climb the Ladder
4. Guest List
5. Today is a Gift
6. Trying
7. Respect
8. Walk It Off
9. Do or Die
10. Things are Bad Enough

Rain on the Parade is a band I found out about on complete accident. I got my hands on a torrent of 50+ hardcore albums, and tucked away in the torrent were Rain on the Parade's "Body Bag" 7" and this 7". I'm going to avoid saying as much as I can about "Body Bag" because that will be a featured album in the near future.

"Full Speed Ahead", in my opinion, is a great 7". It flies by and I've listened to it countless times (I've listened to it 4 times straight through in the last 45 minutes, working on my 5th as I write this). They definitely fit into the straight edge youth crew style, but aren't cookie cutter. While Mark and I agree that some of the lyrics are a little silly (ie. "yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift, today is a gift, so let's do something with that gift" and you can find other examples in every song), the delivery of the lyrics as well as the music makes every song great. It's seriously fun to listen to, and can go right near the top of the list with the other albums I've recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Rain On the Parade is a great example of a band that successfully combines humorous lyrics with fast tunes, without being a "joke band."

    ReplyDelete

Followers