Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Record a Day #5- TURMOIL "From Bleeding Hands" (1996)

Track Listing:
1. New Media
2. Fuse
3. Burning
4. Choke
5. 60-minute Void
6. From Bleeding Hands
7. Evolution of Lies
8. Starve
9. The Bridges
10. Spinning & Crashing

I have to admit, at first I wasn't even going to write about this album. I found TURMOIL because they are another Philadelphia band, not because I've ever heard any of their music before (or even them mentioned in conversation). Halfway through the first song I almost shut it off. Since I'm writing about it, I obviously didn't shut it off and move on to listen to something else.

The music on this album is very mosh heavy, but without anything that could really resemble a breakdown, if that makes any sense. Lyrically, the writing isn't anything special, and doesn't make up for the music that amounts to a lot of distorted noise. I have listened to this album several times for the purpose of giving my thoughts on it, and it has grown on me slightly, but not enough to give any words of encouragement for someone who might want to give it a listen. It's fair to say that this is on the lower side of middle of the road for me. Not the worst album I've ever listened to, but not anywhere near the best.

I will be giving TURMOIL another chance with their second full length ("From Bleeding Hands" is their first), "The Process of", at some point. Maybe my opinion will be different about that one.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I meant to comment on this ages ago...

    I think this is a great example of how generations or the time you get into hardcore can have a big effect on what you like or don't like. I know a lot of people who are just setting foot in the hardcore scene now who have heard Turmoil, Deadguy, Bloodlet and others that are similar and can't get into it. However, at the time these bands were bursting onto the scene, they had a really strong following. I, for one, love this Turmoil album and would recommend it to anyone who like distortion heavy, pissed off metal-hardcore. But I was there when these bands started to come up... perhaps that is why I am more inclined to be into it? Maybe... I just found that interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Followers