Monday, June 28, 2010

Record a Day #3 - The Ultimate Warriors "Our Gimmick is Wrestling" (2002)

Track Listing:
1. Bring the Danger
2. Totally Toryumon!
3. In Reference to Hardcore Kids
4. Teddy Ruxpin Moshed into Oblivion
5. Wrestling Praise
6. Stop Blocking Vmaas' Shots, Ugly
7. Knee Deep in Barbed Wire
8. Stoker I
9. The Warrior Scene is in Shape
10. Song About Wrestling
11. The Only Good Mark....
12. Do You Think Sexism is Wrong? Hey, So Do We!
13. Our Gimmick is Wrestling
14. Barbs, Bulbs, and Homna
15. Nazareth Streetlight Workout
16. Death of the Rebel
17. Test Press for Tino
18. Whitman Gives Me Diahrrea Face
19. I Object
20. Bob Magee Must Perish

I want to start off by saying that until I asked Mark if there were any local hardcore bands (like Rancor and Carpenter Ants) that he could think of, I had never heard of The Ultimate Warriors. After doing quite a bit of digging, I was able to find "Our Gimmick is Wrestling" for download (but without track 20) because it was only pressed as a vinyl LP, first in a run of 200 by White Denim records in 2002, and then later by Double Decker's Doppleganger Records in a run of 1000. From what I've been able to gather from the bits and pieces of info on the net, The Ultimate Warriors (from Nazareth) started off initially as a youth crew band with a wrestling gimmick, then morphed into a power violence band with a wrestling gimmick. This was my first experience with power violence, and I'm not to sure what to think about it.

The first time I listened to this album, it drove me nuts. The vocals are either an obnoxious high pitched squeal, or an obnoxious throaty growl. I did listen to it a few times, and it has grown on me. Even after listening to it the 6 or 7 times that I have (the 19 tracks total 21 minutes long), I have no fucking clue what any of the lyrics are. My enjoyment of the album comes purely from the blazing fast sonic assault of the music. It's not something I like enough to have on my iPod, but I burned it to a cd in case I ever have the urge to listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers