Friday, July 2, 2010

My Turn to Win/Olde York/Run For It/Unlearn/Capital Crisis


Capital Crisis

It's hard for me to knock a band who wasn't awful and were into what they were doing. That being said, Capital Crisis left a little to be desired. You could tell that individually, they were all talented, but collectively it didn't mesh. The tempo was off in most of their songs. They covered the Misfit's "Skulls" and the song was jerky. Tempo would speed up and then slow down pretty regularly. They attempted their last song twice, but gave up on the second time the drummer couldn't keep the beat going. They weren't awful, so please don't think I'm trying to bash them. They have the potential to be a good band.

Unlearn

Unlearn was great. The played an intensely energetic set. When I met Nick, he was the bass player for Back to Back, and both times I've seen Unlearn, I've been impressed with his front man ability (not to say he wasn't good as a bass player). Chaos (also was in Back to Back) has always been a mad man on guitar. The only things that I could say were a little off were that the guitars and bass drowned out the vocals, and that Nick would occasionally not sing into the mic. Neither were big deals, or detracted from their set. I picked up their demo (at strong suggestion from Nick, thanks to Mark for loaning me the two bucks), and it'll be in the "Record a Day" section sometime this coming week, so look out for that.

Run For It

When I looked up Run For It before the show, I was kind of nervous about them. I got the impression that they were more of a Taking Back Sunday kind of band (not knocking them, never listened to them) than a melodic hardcore band. So to say that I went into their set with limited expectations would be a fair statement. However, I really liked them. They were more melodic than I'm used to listening to. I haven't really dipped that much into that kind of music (I've listened to The Movielife's "Forty Hour Train Back to Penn" once, and only thing i really have to compare it to), but they were enjoyable. The set was energetic, with well written songs and great music. I definitely recommend listening to their EP "We've Got the High Ground".

Olde York

This is the second time I've seen Olde York, and the bits and pieces of how good the first show was (I blame Miller Lite and Soco) were refreshed today. They are an amazing bad and put on one hell of a fucking show. The energy they put into their music comes through in every guiatar riff and bass line. They don't come around here often enough, but if you get the opportunity to see them, fucking do it. Don't ask, just do.

My Turn to Win

My Turn to Win was amazing. When I see bands like My Turn to Win with female members (singers, guitarists), it makes it easier to understand why girls find guys who play in bands so appealing. I'm not trying to be a pig or anything, but when an attractive woman can play kick ass guitar in a great hardcore band, it's great. It also makes me wonder deeper things, like what it's like to be one of a few women in a heavily male dominated scene (i know there are a lot of girls at shows and i'm not trying to be chauvinistic, but it's still male dominated). I don't have the answer to that and I'm straying way to far off my subject matter. Their set was aggressive and in your face the entire time. Their album "Weight of the World" was great (http://fasterthanthaworld.blogspot.com/2010/07/record-day-7-my-turn-to-win-weight-of.html) and their live show was even better. I definitely would like to see more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers