Monday, August 16, 2010

F.O.D. "Home Lobotomy Kit" 2010

At the show Friday night I bought a few cd's and had a very specific plan on the order I was going to listen to them and do write ups for them. Then today I had to run some errands, and decided I would bring F.O.D.'s "Home Lobotomy Kit" with me because it was the only full length I bought, and the extended time in the car would give me an opportunity to listen to most of it. I failed to take into account that it's F.O.D. and even though it was 15 tracks, it was going to go by in a flash.

I've listened to it at least 6 times from start to finish today, which is why it's jumped to the front of the line. It's a great cd. It holds to the formula of other F.O.D. albums I've listened to. A majority of the songs are fast and ferocious musically. The lyrics are well written. F.O.D. may be getting up there in age, but they can still write songs that angst filled teens can relate to. "Slice of South of Heaven" come in the middle of the disc, and breaks it up nicely. The first six songs (and the last eight) with Jim McMonagle's vocals are great, but when bassist Dave Rochon's vocals kick in on track 7, it's a nice change of pace. It also marks the spot where the already great cd kicks it into high gear, with the last 9 tracks ("Slice of South of Heaven" is included in this) being the best on the album. "Racist Boyfriend" is definitely my favorite track. It has a very old school punk sound and stuck out to me immediately when I heard it. The album ends with "Mrs. P.", a song that anyone who has ever wondered what it would be like to be someone else, even for a little while. Start to finish this is an album that highly fucking recommend. IF you get to a show that they are playing, do yourself a favor and pick it up. If you can't get to a show, go to their bigcartel page and buy it, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers